The reason why you are facing this problem-
Apple Inc., formerly Apple Computer Inc, is an American Multinational Company. Apple is a leader in premium consumer electronics.
It produces well designed and sophisticated mobile phones, headphones, laptops, PCs, tablets, smartwatches, and portable media players.
Apple uses its own operating systems like macOS, iOS, etc. for these devices to operate efficiently. Apple also manufactures customized accessories like air pods, earbuds, and headphones for their MacBook, iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
Because of this, Apple is thought to be more of a closed system where only Mac devices and its own products are compatible with one another.
This makes it almost impossible to connect any Apple hardware with other devices that run on different operating systems like Windows, LINUX and UNIX.
So, most of its hardware is incompatible with PCs from HP, Dell or Asus that usually runs on Windows.
But, a growing number of consumer electronics manufacturers are designing and manufacturing products that work with Mac devices and operating systems these days.
Some of the Apple hardware can be easily configured to run on these devices hassle-free. You need not be tech-savvy to do this.
If you are wondering how to use your Apple headphones as a microphone on PC, then this is a good place to start.
Please follow the steps below to make your Apple headphones work on your PC as a mic.
Steps To Configure Apple Headphones as Mic On PC
1 – Identifying The Port
Headphones usually help us listen to the audio output from the system while the microphone is the audio input device to the sound systems.
Both act as a medium of communication between the user and the computer system. Here, we are going to use headphones as a mic; hence, it is important to identify the slots for headphones and the mic.
Some older PCs might have only one slot for both the headphones and mic. But these days, almost every PC has separate slots for headphones and mic.
Identify the ports so that you will be able to connect your headphones in the mic port. If you are not able to find the mic port on your PC, look it up in the user manual or watch videos about your PC and identify them.
Do not connect it in the Headphones slot. This is the most important part.
Identifying the slots and plugging the headphones in the mic slot instead of the headphones slot is the first step.
2 – Launch Control Panel
The next step is launching the control panel.
– After connecting your headphones in the mic port, go to the start menu.
– Open the control panel. It can be done in different ways.
1 – By clicking on the windows icon and typing the control panel in the search dialog box if it is a Windows 7 OS.
2 – By simply typing “Control panel” in the search dialog box in case of windows 10.
3 – By using Control command in the Run dialog box. The run dialog box can be opened by pressing Windows + R. Type control, and it will launch the control panel.
4 – You can also open the Control panel from the Settings app. Go to the windows settings by either clicking on the windows icon and search for settings app by scrolling down. Click on it and type the control panel in the settings search dialog box.
This is the second step.
3 – Manage Audio Devices
– After opening the control panel, identify the search box of the control panel at the right top corner of your desktop.
– In the search box, type “manage devices”.
– Now, click on the manage audio devices under the sound category. This opens the settings for sound devices. Sound settings dialog box appears.
This is the third step.
4 – Default Device Settings
– Now, in the sound settings dialog box click on the recording tab. you will be asked to select a recording device to modify its settings.
– Microphone array will appear as a default high definition audio device in that sound settings dialog box. Click on it, and another dialog box will open. This dialog box allows us to modify the microphone array properties.
– Enable it as a default device.
This is the fourth step.
5- Enabling As Default Device
– To enable it as a default device, click on the General tab and you can see device usage option.
– Under the drop-down list box, select the Use this device (enable) option. Make sure to do this properly so that you don’t have any problem with configuring your headphones to use them as microphones.
– This will set the device as the default one.
This is the fifth step
6 – Identify Your Device
You can also change the icon as well as the name of your icon to anything you want. Just type in the name of the icon under the general tab and click on the change icon to change the icon.
7 – How Find Microphone Boost In Your Sound Settings?
You can use the level tab in the microphone array settings dialog box to change the boost level of your microphone to make it work efficiently to capture the sound input.
– Go to the level tab and click on it.
– Under the level tab, you have two different options. One is the microphone array, and the other is the microphone boost.
– Optimize the microphone boost by changing it to +20 dB. This boost will help you record clearly even if your sound levels are low.
8 – Voice Check And You Are Ready!
Complete the process with a voice check and confirm the headphones are configured properly and working fine as a mic.
This will work for almost all the PCs that have separate slots for both the microphone and the headphones. If there is only one slot, then you have to use the headphones as default for both recording and headphones.
This is the simplest way to configure your Apple headphones and use it as a default microphone on your PC.